The purpose of the conference is to provide lawyers and others with a comprehensive understanding of drug addiction and recovery. It will focus on types of addictions, the causes, signs and symptoms of addiction (including early warning signs), complicating factors (including mental illness – the dual diagnosis), where to seek treatment, treatment options (from the traditional 12-Step Programs through cutting edge research), and maintaining sobriety. It is an ambitious program given the available time, but addresses a growing problem with serious implications.
The conference is free to attend.
This conference will feature the best, most-highly respected persons in their respective fields to present at the conference. Speakers currently include:
- Individuals who have battled addiction and made their way to recovery: Brian Cuban, Jermaine Wilson, Paul Williams, Chuck Negron, Candy Finnegan of A&E’s Intervention and Whit Blackburn.
- Family members of the addicted: Fred Knobloch and Hon. Linda Davis.
- Experts on the Scientific Realities of Addiction: Jennifer Margulis, Ph.D. and Judy Griesel, Ph.D.
- Addiction Counselors for the addicted and their families: Jana Hinz, LCMFT and Theresa Lemus, MBA, BSN, LADC.
- Clinical Treatment Providers: John Whipple, M.D., James Flowers, Ph.D. and Duane Olberding, LSMSW.
- Faith-Based Treatment Providers: Rick Hopper and Bobbi Jo Reed.
- Experts on Treatment for Incarcerated Addicts: Dr. Kenneth Robinson and Dr. James Hayden.
- Expert on Insurance Benefit Issues Surrounding Addiction and Mental Health Treatment: Vicky Schmidt.
- Drug Court/Mental Health Diversion Panelists: Hon. O. Duane Slone, Hon. Steve Leifman.
- Educators working with Addicts: Matthew Creasman and David & Lynn Gilkey.
- Program Directors for Educating Treatment Providers: Holly Hagel, Ph.D. and Patricia Stilen, MSW, Robert K. Twillman, Ph.D. and Kathryn Cates-Wessel, M.D.
- Homelessness and Social Welfare Policy Expert: Wendy Bach, Ph.D.
- Help for Addicted Legal Professionals: Louis Clothier and Penny Moylan.
- Expert on Drug Trafficking: Jeffrey Stamm.
Continuing Education Credit from the Kansas Legal Education Commission and other professional accrediting agencies currently is pending.
The ARC Conference will held at the Drury Plaza Broadview Hotel in Wichita, KS on October 12th and 13th, 2019.
Conference Access during the Prairie Fire Marathon, on Sunday, October 13, 2019
Access the Drury Plaza Broadview Hotel by driving southbound on Waco. There will be a travel lane open from Waco Avenue to Douglas Avenue, to the extreme end of the hotel. Exit the Drury Garage heading northbound on Waco Avenue. Police are assigned to the barricades along the marathon route and can provide more specific directions.